Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Kindergarten!!!

Today Timothy had his first day of kindergarten.  We had to wake him up at 7:30, so he would be ready for the bus.  We had a special family breakfast and then a few pictures before heading to the bus stop.  Timothy of course asked if he could play with his friend Anna after breakfast before the bus.  Obviously it was a whole new routine for him!
Our handsome boy ready to head to school.  He had picked out his Iowa shirt to wear.  I had to wash it and sew a rip he got in the sleeve from this past weekend.  He loves his Hawkeye shirt that the Dykstras gave to him.  In fact, he suggested the whole family should wear Iowa shirts today...so we did!

Teresa really wanted in on the action.  She wanted a first day of school card, wanted to be in pictures, and would have loved to go to her school too!  But alas, her day is a few weeks out yet.
Then it was onto the bus stop.  There was quite a crowd of kids and parents.  Timothy mainly watched as all the other kids played around.  Even in the picture you can see the bit of distance he kept.  He was quiet, but still happy.  Timothy's assigned bus went sailing by, but luckily another bus came and took the kids.  It was very crowded and Timothy was the last one on.  I think my mommy heart broke as I saw my little boy on the bus and he didn't know where to sit and I couldn't help him.  It was then that I realized how this was a moment that I was letting him grow and do things on his own.  And he did!!  (But it still did not keep me from crying as he drove away.)
Troy actually drove ahead to school to make sure Timothy could find his room.  It was good Troy was there as the bus was late and Timothy's class had already gone inside.  I missed my boy all day long and looked at his schedule wondering what he was up to.  When he got off the bus in the afternoon, he was all smiles.  Much to our surprise he had quite a bit to share about his day.  It sounded like it was a very good day and he is ready for another one tomorrow!
We celebrated after dinner with a brownie ice cream cake.  This year is had a Hawk on it to go with our Iowa theme.  We told Timothy tonight that he is our Kindergarten star...and he sure is.  We were very proud of him today!

No comments: