Timothy and I were enjoying some outdoor time on this beautiful fall day. He played on a blanket while I raked leaves. While I was raking I kept a close watch to prevent him from eating the leaves and grass he was exploring.
Just before we went in the house we were crumpling leaves together and I spotted a ladybug. I let it crawl on my hand so Timothy could see it. He watched it curiously. It crawled a little on his hand too before flying a short distance away. I brought it back and we watched it together. I thought I was being careful so Timothy would not pinch it and kill it. The ladybug crawled on his hand again and I found myself unprepared for his quick hand to mouth movement. Yup, into the mouth went the ladybug.
Now I don't suppose Timothy would have been the first to eat a bug, but I was able to fish it out. I do believe the ladybug survived the ordeal, but it upset Timmy some. I am not sure if it was the troubling feeling of having something crawl on your gums or the way mommy was forcing his mouth open and digging her finger around that upset him, but he was done with nature time! Even when we were safe inside he remained a bit clingy and just wanted to be held. So much for the wonderful nature moment of discovering a ladybug!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ah! Fishing in your child's mouth. Sam got mad at me yesterday when I insisted on prying his little jaw open so I could extract a 2 inch slice of asparagus.
Post a Comment